The subject of this email sums it all up at the moment. The Ozbus has had its good moments, it has certainly had its bad moments and now all the girls have been forced to wear head scarves and totally cover up with no body shape showing, we certainly feel pretty ugly!
THE GOOD
We are in Iran, which is a country very few people from the UK and even the Western world will ever experience. In our journey here we have seen many wonderful things including the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Ephesus and the underground city of Derinkuyu as well as visiting Gallipoli, which for Australians is their equivalent of Dunkirk. We have woken at the crack of dawn and gone hot air ballooning over somewhere in Turkey I can’t remember the name of, climbed Mount Nemrut to see the sun rise and generally had some amazing experiences.
The people on the bus are amazing and if it wasn’t for them, this trip wouldn’t be half as good as it is.
THE BAD
Unfortunately there are bad points.
The coach – Ozbus didn’t manage to convert a coach for us (this was done in time for the second group, more than likely with our money) so we have a hired coach which is more suitable for a day trip to Blackpool than a 12 week overland journey from London to Sydney. So far, the water pipe broke because it was rotten, then the bus overheated because our ‘mechanic’ (I use the term very lightly) bus driver overfilled the radiator causing it to overheat, the exhaust fell off when trying to manoeuvre onto a ferry, our bus driver pulled off taking a sign with him and leaving our rear bumper and lights behind, then the front corner of the bus was smashed up on the curb, then we ran out of fuel discovered later that day after refuelling, this was due to the fact we were leaking fuel and then our mirror fell off. To put it bluntly the bus is being held together by gaffa tape (no joke) and if it weren’t for our ex squaddie travellers who have fixed the bus every time (with little to no help from our driver or the tool kit which consisted of rusty nails) we would be going no where.
The promotional itinerary – Having read the itinerary online (all 39 of us) we were excited about many of the places mentioned, especially Mount Everest base camp. We have now been told this was never going to happen and the itinerary we read was ‘promotional’ only and has no bearing on our trip!
China and Laos – We were told 8 weeks before we left not to get a Chinese visa as this would be arranged for us. Surprise, surprise, we are more than likely not going through China, which means we cannot go through Laos. The excuse is that the highway between the 2 countries is closed – if anyone can find out if this is true, I know 38 travellers who would be very interested. Instead we will fly (who covers the cost of this flight we are yet to find out) – so much for flightless travel
The list goes on. Promises were made which were not kept (e.g. we would have a big party before hitting Iran – not true; Iran is a safe hospitable country – not true, the men are perverts who have tried grabbing the arses and boobs of appropriately dressed Western women and seem to think it is ok to stare and letch after us. They also won’t serve us in many restaurants), the website falsely advertised the trip and stated things which were not true, we are spending far too much time on the coach and then, to top it all off, 2 weeks in they tried to get us to sign a disclaimer saying Ozbus were not liable for anything that happens to us (luckily 2 of our travellers are solicitors (1 Irish and 1 a retired partner from Lovells) who advised us against this.
LEARNING POINT – NEVER GO ON THE FIRST EVER TRIP; DON’T BE THE GUINEA PIGS
THE UGLY
Now we have entered the full on Muslim countries we must cover up. Women are seen as inferior, change is always handed to the man and conversation directed at the man. Women walking around on their own (especially Western women) are assumed to be prostitutes.
It has been 3 weeks since I’ve worn make-up, I have had over 48 hours where I have been unable to shower and am forced to use squatter toilets which are smeared in poo. I could easily say I have never felt so unattractive. Luckily all the men are gagging for it so tell us ladies we are beautiful no matter what!
THE CONCULSION
Analysing the experience so far (at time of writing it is the end of day 21), would I do this again? Yes. The people I have met are wonderful, the good experiences have been out of this world. I will go back to Vienna and the hot air ballooning place and am more aware of the Muslim culture than I could ever be had I never been to Iran (my opinion remains the same – women here are degraded and it needs change). The experience is anything but smooth but after this, I think we all can cope with pretty much anything, as long as we have a few good friends around us. Bring it on, we will cope!
Thursday, 18 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would somewhat expect that sort of treatment in Iran for women. In your bad listing it almost sounds like you're blaming Ozbus for Iran's repressive society. I know you're not, but it comes off that way.
How do you know that the 2nd group of ozbussers has a better coach? Do you know what they have that is more suitable as opposed to your coach?
Thanks for blogging. There have been few and far between updates from the bloggers that I am monitoring and to finally get a bit more perspective is nice.
I note that you say the second coach may have been paid (in part) for by your money.
Do you know how Ozbus is bonded?
Post a Comment